Shadow IT is the use of information technology systems, devices, software and services without prior approval from the IT department.
Download and share the infographic for free with employees.
Risks of using Shadow IT
While employees use shadow IT to complete the job tasks conveniently, the technology introduces unprecedented risks, inefficiencies, and cost.
- Loss of valuable data
- Lack of visibility and control over networks and systems
- Use of unapproved software can create non-compliance issues
- Incompatibility with IT infrastructure can cause performance issues
We recommend the following to manage the use of Shadow IT at your organisation.
- Continuously monitor the network for applications and systems.
- Develop a list of devices approved for BYOD use.
- Develop an internal app store for all applications that have been evaluated and approved to use for work purposes.
- Block applications that are unsafe and require users to seek prior approval before downloading.